Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Garage Sales and My Adventures in Frugality


         I generally hate garage sales, but sometimes they are necessary. I never really have enough to sell to make it worth it, I rarely have a whole Saturday to devote to not making any money, and I like my stuff. This month, however, I need just a little extra income.
            Our family is in the process of downsizing, both financially and materially. I am poor and I’m okay with it. We probably won’t ever be in a financial situation where my children can have the new gadgets their friends have, and I really don’t want them to anyway. I like living simply. It really is a freeing experience to embrace poverty and make it something fun and creative instead of seeing it as restrictive.
            So, in order to make my “living simply” dream happen, we are getting rid of stuff. I am getting rid of all of my clothes that I don’t wear on a regular basis, (with the exception of dressy clothes). I am going to donate some of M’s toys to his grandmothers’ houses, keep the ones he really enjoys playing with, and try to sell the others. He doesn’t need hundreds of toys; he just needs to enjoy the toys he has, and realize that there is a huge world to explore outside.
            I’m selling gadgets and decorations that have been sitting in my garage for a year. I’m getting rid of decorative dishes, books, and furniture that serve no purpose besides being aesthetically-pleasing. I want our house to be simple, practical, and tidy. There should be a place for everything and a use for everything.
            I’m selling movies and books that don’t project the values that I cherish, and I’m hoping all of these changes will help to free up more time for being kind to others, and being available to enjoy real, profitable life when it comes our way.
            I may not make any money at all from this garage sale I’m having next weekend. I may waste a Saturday morning, but I could make even just $50 to make this month more tolerable; because, if you’re like me, $50 can pay for groceries for a week.
            More to come in this frugal adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment