Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Free Things to Do in Memphis

As I write this I am in the Central Library. Therefore, the Library will be the first free thing I advocate. I love coming to the library. It may sound pretty boring to some, and if you aren't a big reader it may be a drag for you, but I just love putting the baby down for a nap at the grandparents' and heading to the library for a date with myself.
I wander the aisles looking for "how-to" books on anything from knitting to my most recent project, "How to Write a Mystery Novel." It is such a nice and quiet place to look around, read, and get ideas...and it's free!
My husband and I (before we were married and a few times after), would end our dates by going to Davis Kidd and sitting next to each other to read. I guess that may not sound great to some of you, but to us it was a wonderful, relaxing way to spend time with each other without spending money. Sometimes, if we were feeling a little more extravagent, would head down to Borders, buy a cup of coffee, and swap interesting facts we would read. I love to find books of jokes and tell them to him. Laughter is the best medicine, and sometimes the best jokes are stupid ones.
Try going to a bookstore the next time you want to go on a date but can't spend any money.
If you are looking for a fun morning for the kids, check these story times out:

Barnes and Noble:
The Wolfchase Barnes and Noble offers a Story Time on Tuesday mornings at 11:00

Bookstar:
On Saturdays at 2:00 Bookstar offers a storytime. In addition there are often other activities for children during storytime, call (901) 323-9332 for more information.

Children's Museum of Memphis:
Tuesdays at 10:00, CMOM holds "My First Book Club" for children which includes crafts, activities, snacks, and stories. On Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays at 12:00 children can relax while listening to a story.

I will continue to post other free (or nearly free) activities to do in Memphis over the next week. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. The Peabody Ducks @ 5pm every day is free!

    The Botanic Gardens and the Zoo both are free after 3pm on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SJ! Yeah, that helps my list tremendously!

    ReplyDelete