Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Frugal Suggestions for the “I Take My Coffee with Cream and Sugar” Crowd.


I love coffee. I love the caffeine that comes in my cream and sugar. My coffee is very important to me. It’s kind of an experience for me every morning. If I don’t get to have my “coffee-time” in the morning, I just feel like a rug got pulled out from under me.
            I guess it’s because that’s really the only time of the day that I get to be truly alone. I make my coffee the night before, so when I wake up all I have to do is push the button and prepare my breakfast before I sit down with a hot cup of coffee and my Bible.
            It’s a really precious time to me. But, with a still pretty young child, I don’t get as much sleep as I’d like. By the afternoon I’m ready for my second or third cup of coffee of the day. If you add a couple of tablespoons of cream and a spoonful of sugar, both the calories and the cents add up by the end of the week. So, to combat both of these issues I considered cutting the cream and sugar out of the equation and just drink the coffee black. I tried for a couple of days, but it just didn’t feel the same.
            I prayed about it. Yes, I do pray about if I should have cream in my coffee or not. I felt freedom to still have my cup of coffee in the morning with cream and sugar. But, being the frugal person that I am, I decided that all subsequent cups of coffee during the day would be taken black without sugar. This way I would protect the sacredness of my morning coffee-time, and still stretch the container of creamer even further. This may seem like a silly dilemma, but it took a couple of dollars off of my grocery bill this week, so it’s not silly to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment