Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Poor and Stingy are Not Synonyms


            When I am struggling financially or personally, it is easy for me to forget or choose not to help others in need. I always have a good excuse, I’m too busy, I don’t have enough money for groceries; how can I give to someone else? I don’t have time to get everything done in my house; how am I supposed to give time to anyone else?  But as a follower of Christ, I have been commanded to give to others even out of my poverty.
            Jesus instructed me to visit the sick, widows, orphans, those in prison, and He commanded me to care for them. I am called to give the hungry something to eat, the thirsty something to drink, and help those in trouble. More often though, I get caught up in my own troubles and forget to serve others.
            Now, some months I may not have a lot of money to give, but I have time. If I can’t fund someone in financial trouble, I can volunteer to help care for their kids, or clean their house. I can give leftovers, or canned goods from my pantry. I can give them my clothes, or make them dinner. In my troubles, I don’t want to forget to be kind.
            If people like Mother Teresa can give everything they own to the poor, choose to live among lepers and beggars, and continually sacrifice their own comfort and health for the sake of others, I can give my meager McDonalds money to someone else. Or, I can leave my dirty dishes, and instead, give that time to someone who needs someone to talk to.
            When the five thousand gathered to listen to Jesus, the disciples tried to send them away at dinner time, but Jesus said, you give them something to eat. That’s what I’m called to do. Even when the loaves and fishes or dollars in the bank aren’t enough to satisfy that need, when you give as the Lord commanded, you may gather twelve baskets full of leftovers at the end.
            I am not writing this to guilt anyone into giving to the poor; you have to make your own decisions about money and time. I’m not even saying that every Saturday I volunteer at soup kitchens because I do have a child and responsibilities at home, but rather, I’m talking about a giving attitude. I want to have a heart for those in need just like Jesus did, so that I may have compassion for those in need that I meet along the way.
            So, when you’re struggling with money or personal issues don’t forget to be kind. (I’m saying this to myself).
            …For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you    gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed    Me; I was in prison, and you came to me. Then the righteous will answer Him,   saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give      You drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked,            and clothe You? ‘And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?      “And the King will answer… ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to        one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me” (Matthew              25:35-40).

1 comment:

  1. This moved my heart. Most often, I feel it within that I should just do it, some how, slumbber takes it over. Have a reason again for the same, but no more reasoning!
    Thanks you've motivated me.

    ReplyDelete