Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Caramel and Chocolate Glazed Shortbread


This recipe as promised.
            But first, I apologize for my lack-luster posts these past couple of weeks. I’ll give you a little update of what’s been going on that has kept me from posting as often as I’d like.             First, for the past week my son (now almost a year old) has been running a fever of about 101 degrees. I took him to the doctor have three days of said fever to discover that he has a pretty bad ear infection. He hadn’t complained, hadn’t tugged on his ear or given me any type of indication that his ear was hurting. That’s the first thing. The second is that in addition to an ear infection, my child has been a late bloomer in the teeth department, receiving his first tooth just a couple of weeks ago. I thought that first teething experience passed without the horror I had heard about, but I was wrong. With the onset of this ear infection my son decided it was time to cut 4 new teeth this week! We, my husband and I, have been up all night and day comforting a screaming baby, and nursing colds ourselves.
            Then, to top that off, my son showed what looked like an allergic reaction to the antibiotics his doctor put him on. My husband called me on Sunday afternoon as I took a stroll after lunch to tell me M had woken up from his nap with a rash spreading over his whole body. I ran part of the mile home in shoes that dug into my feet like a dog gnawing a bone and held him as we quickly called his doctor. It turned out not to be an allergic reaction, but rather a very common reaction to amoxicillin. Regardless, I was drained both physically and emotionally from such a tiring week.
             Things seem to be looking up so far this week, but all three of us are still recovering from the ordeal.
            So, how’s that for an update? Now onto the recipe!
            The creation was Caramel and Chocolate-Glazed Shortbread Bites which I found in Good Housekeeping: Brownies.
            I thought this recipe was going to be a challenge for me (I’m not much of an experienced baker), but I actually found it to be quick and easy.
Ingredients:
Shortbread Crust:
¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks), softened
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour

Caramel Filling:
1 Cup packed brown sugar
½ cup honey
½ cup butter (1 stick), cut into pieces
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup heavy or whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

As for the chocolate glaze, I saved myself time and money by buying Duncan-Hines Chocolate glaze instead of making my own; it turned out quite well.
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 13” by 9” baking pan with foil. Grease foil
2.     Prepare crust: in large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until cream, about 2 minutes. At low speed, gradually beat in flour until evenly moistened )mixture will resemble fine crumbs).
3.     Sprinkle crumbs in prepared pan. With hand, firmly pat crumbs onto bottom and about ¼ inch up sides of pan to form crust. Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Place on wire rack.
4.     Prepare filling: in 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, honey, butter, granulated sugar, cream, and vanilla, stirring frequently, to full rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking, without stirring, until temperature reaches 248 degrees, or firm-ball stage (when small amount of mixture dropped in very cold water forms a ball that does not flatten upon removal from water).
5.     Pour hot caramel over warm crust. Cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour or until caramel is room temperature and has formed a skin on top.
6.     Pour glaze over filling; spread evenly, being careful not to push caramel layer around. Cover and refrigerate until bars are cold and glaze has set, at least 30 minutes.
7.     When cold, lift foil, with pastry, out of pan; [eel foil away from sides. Cut lengthwise into 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 bars. Store bars in refrigerator, in tightly covered container, with waxed paper between layers, up to two weeks.
8.     Now, I tried to cut the shortbread, but it turned out to be rock-hard. So, mine turned into pretty small “Shortbread Bites,” which kind of made them into more of a candy rather than shortbread. So, do whichever works for you.
           
            Until the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment