Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

$50 Per Week Challenge

For a few weeks I was efficient with my grocery shopping, skilled in stretching meals for days, and brilliant at cost-saving maneuvers; but then I got tired and sloppy.
I will not lie, it is extremely trying at times to not be able to cook gourmet or imaginative meals, eat dinner out, or invite large groups of people to my house for dinner or dessert. It comes down to the facts, however, and facts don't lie when it comes to money and exceeding budgets. So, spending reform is in order.
Admittedly, we did make some spending allowances for this month; my husband I went on a vacation in celebration of three years of marriage (and a newly-weaned baby), where we ate out for every meal. I felt that for those three days we were gone it was important for me to not think about money or how much we were spending on tips alone.
This all brings me to my main point, which is: for the month of April I will attempt to spend an average of only $50 per month on food and household items for all three of us. Now, this will not include diapers or wipes. I will be honest about how much we are spending, report when I exceed my budget and how to rectify it, and I will share my recipes and cheap dinner ideas.
 Now, this gives me a couple of weeks to research and compare prices, figure out what I should buy in bulk, and plan a menu. I will share any information I find with you, my readers, and I am open to feedback and advice.

Question: What are your money-saving techniques?

4 comments:

  1. Thought you might like this even if not immediately applicable perhaps:
    http://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/corny-ten-different-ways/

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you mean 50 per week or per month?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lentils and beans are staple budget savers for me. I've been buying in bulk lately and its been great, but its a little different with the strategy, since all of its gone at once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori: Well, I really want to do an average of $50/week. Yeah, lentils are becoming a huge staple for us. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Daniel: That was a really interesting article; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete